Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Bout of Books 12 Read-a-thon: Monday update

I started the Bout of Books 12 Read-a-thon Monday and was pleased with the day.  I read Dorothy Dunnett's Niccolo Rising, and got through 56 pages.  I love Dunnett--I read the first book in the Lymond Chronicles last summer--but it takes time to get the rhythm and sense of her novels.  One does not--or at least most do not--turn pages at a fast pace with a Dunnett book.  To do so would cause one to miss the pleasure of savoring her writing.  I don't say that often about an author, but I feel that way with Dunnett.

Today I switched gears in the morning and was reading in the Dostoyevsky biography.  It, too, is well written, and I am enjoying it as well.

The Read-a-thon has already served the purpose I had hoped it would:  it has forced me to focus once again on reading, something I was inexplicably struggling to do for the last quarter of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment