Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Back after a long layoff

It's hard to believe that it has been almost one year since I last posted on this blog.  Interesting, too, that the reason I got back to it is that I've signed up for another Bout of Books read-a-thon, and grabbed the link to the blog when I signed up.  My last post, as you can see below, was a post from the Bout of Books read-a-thon last January.  I didn't have much success in that one, and I'm not sure how I'll do with this one, because work starts up again Monday after a two week hiatus.

Nevertheless, I'm going to participate because I want to start the new year of reading strong. Last year--2015--was not a great reading year for me.  I changed jobs, went back to administration after a year of teaching, and moved the family to a new area of the country.  Because so much of the year was unsettled, I found it very difficult to focus on any one book. As a result, I started many books in the summer and fall, but only finished a couple of them.  I hope that 2016 will be a calmer, more settled year.

I decided to start reading among the four books I was given as gifts this Christmas.  I've been entranced, in a weird way, by Thomas Bernhard's Correction, and hope to complete that one in the next couple of days.  I'm also having fun with James Shapiro's A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare:  1599.  Shapiro writes lively, compelling prose that makes reading the book a pleasure. I suspect I'll finish it sometime during the read-a-thon next week.

I'll update my progress in the read-a-thon next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment